Each campus department is responsible for providing and supporting recommended software and hardware to ensure Section 504 compliance and access to campus resources. Failure to do so could result in program accessibility complaints that could result in legal action by affected parties.The Disability Services Center may have access to unlimited/universal licensing of adaptive software available for UC Irvine Departments to install on student lab computer stations. Please contact DSC for more information.The Disability Services Center can provide consultation and direction on the acquisition of AT and will also provide limited training to registered student users.
If you are a campus department establishing an AT Station, please review "AT Recommendations" or contact Robert Espero, AT/IT Manager, Disability Services at 949-824-7494.
Adaptive Technology Recommendations
The recommendations listed below have been commonly used at UC Irvine. This is not an all-inclusive listing of all available AT. If you require additional information please contact Robert Espero, AT/IT Manager at the Disability Services Center at 949-824-7494, or by email at email@example.com.
Disabilities Listing and AT
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder (AD/HD)
- Asperger's Disease/Autism
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHH)
- Learning Disabilities (Reading/Writing/Processing)
PC Station with Generally Recommended Adaptive Software & Hardware
Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder, Learning Disabilities, Asperger's Disease/Autism
- Kurzweil 3000 - Scan and Read, literacy software
- Read & Write Gold- Scan and Read, literacy software
Blind or have Low Vision
- Closed Circuit Televisions (CCTVs) and/or Magnification Devices (Handheld or Tabletop) - magnifies literature, items, etc.
- Job Access With Speech (JAWS) - Screenreader that "speaks" computer screens
- ZoomText - Screen magnification software with speech synthesis for computers.
- Kurzweil 1000
Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) or Assistive Listening Systems (ALSs)
- Remote Captioning/Prompting Technologies - Text transcript and description of audio activities and speech in audio.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking - Voice recognition softwaring allowing the use and navigation of one's computer hands-free.
- Adjustable Height Table - Adjustable surface for users with mobility impairments that include wheelchairs, repetitive strain injuries, etc.
- Alternative Input Devices - Ergonomic Keyboard/Mouse, "Puffer" mouse, head-sticks, trackball mice, one-handed keyboards, etc.
Mac Station with Generally Recommended Adaptive Software & Hardware